Monday, June 21, 2010

My Top Five Unexpected Tearjerker Moments

Every once in a while, a relatively harmless film has a major moment that packs an emotional punch. It comes at us out of nowhere and makes us take the movie a little more seriously. Some are sad, some are happy. Pull up a box of tissues and get ready to enjoy my top five tearjerker moments. Warning: Spoilers Ahead


5. Life is Beautiful: The 2nd Half

This foreign film starts off as a charmingly inventive romantic comedy, and then turns into a Holocaust drama. The first part is just a set up for how the main character gets his five year old son through the ordeal without him even knowing its going on. I have no set clip for this one so I'll just post the trailer. You should go out and rent this anyways.



4. The Breakfast Club: How The Jock Got Detention

What starts out as a simple case of locker room bullying turns into a tirade about how the character feels about his father. Sadly, I could not find this clip, so go watch the movie if you haven't already!

3. Beauty & The Beast: The Transformation

I watched this movie again for the first time in ages this year when I got the DVD, and this scene blew me away like never before. I guess when I was a kid the full impact of the film didn't quite hit me. I was to young to understand the emotional implications. It also may have had something to do with watching this clip in the special features section first:




2. Toy Story 2: When She Loved Me

Now this one really came out left field. I think this is where Pixar began to reach both kids and adults. You know they've done their job right when you can make a grown-up cry over a toy!



1. Breakfast at Tiffany's: The End

This is a romantic comedy, a genre I usually can't stand. And it wasn't even a sad ending. I don't know why it got to me, but gosh darn it! Maybe it was the music, maybe I just wanted them to find the cat. And yes, the cat really is called Cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment